Box Score CARY, NC – No. 1 North Carolina cruised to a 4-0 victory over South Carolina State in the first round of the 2022 NCAA Division 1 Women’s Tennis Championship on Saturday.
North Carolina (25-2) will face No. 28 South Carolina (15-10) in Sunday’s second round match from Cary Tennis Park at 2 pm
The Gamecocks picked up a 4-0 victory over No. 32 Iowa State in Saturday’s first game in Cary.
The Tar Heels made quick work of doubles to take the early 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs.
The match was suspended for just over an hour when rain entered the picture after the conclusion of doubles and was restarted back in Chapel Hill at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center’s indoor courts at 2:33 pm
The long wait was not an issue for UNC.
Anika Yarlagadda, Alle Sanford and Kacie Harvey each posted straight-set victories in a span of two minutes on courts four, five and six, respectively to secure the win.
Carolina improves to 6-0 against South Carolina State in NCAA play.
1. #5 Cameron Morra (UNC) vs. Rachida Berjane (SCSU) 6-0, 4-0, unfinished
2. #55 Fiona Crawley (UNC) vs. Lasya Patnaik (SCSU) 6-1, 5-0, unfinished
3. #51 Carson Tanguilig (UNC) vs. Teodora Vujicic (SCSU) 6-4
4. Anika Yarlagadda (UNC) def. Nalanda Silva (SCSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alle Sanford (UNC) def. Ikram Rassif (SCSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Kacie Harvey (UNC) def. Anabel Aguilar (SCSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6
1. #1 Crawley/Scotty (UNC) vs. Patnaik/Silva (SCSU) 4-2, unfinished
2. Sanford/Tanguilig (UNC) def. Berjane/Rassif (SCSU) 6-1
3. Morra/Tran (UNC) def. Vujicic/Aguilar (SCSU) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2