The Philadelphia Eagles are hosting their annual rookie minicamp this weekend. The roster of 43 players includes:
We’ve already covered a lot of the Eagles’ draft picks and UDFA additions here at BGN. Since the test guys are new, let’s take a look at them. From 16 rookie tries:
North Dakota WR Garett Mag
Western Kentucky WR Jaylen Hall
USC CB Chris Steele
Nevada RB Warriors
Ouachita Baptist RB TJ Cole
Duke S Dominique Long
Nevada CB Bentlee Sanders
Portland State S Xavier Bell
Oklahoma LB DeShaun White
South Dakota LS Dalton Godfrey
West Virginia LB Jasir Cox
Delaware LB Johnny Buchanan
Virginia Tech DE Tyjuan Garbutt
Hawaii TE Jordan Murray
Baylor WR Gavin Holmes
- Ouachita Baptist is new to me. This is Division II.
- The University of North Dakota should not be confused with North Dakota State University. But they are both Division I FCS.
- Three LBs and three WRs here. Maybe a chance for one of those guys to earn a spot on the roster with the Birds lacking depth in those positions.
- It’s usually pretty rare — though not totally unprecedented (Nick Sirianni invoked Adam Thielen during his Friday press conference) — for tryout players to make it in the NFL. Last year, the Eagles had only one try in camp: Keric Wheatfall. And it didn’t last too long. Good luck to these guys fighting an uphill battle.
WR Charleston Rambo
WR Austin Proehl
TE Sammis Reyes
BY Quinton Bell
Rambo is an underrated player. I remember him bursting when I watched Jalen Hurts’ Oklahoma highlights after the 2020 NFL Draft. With a varsity average of 15.2 and 79 receptions for 1,172 yards and seven touchdowns last year he was worth it so late in the game. Why not associate Hurts with a familiar face?
He went undrafted and signed with the Carolina Panthers, who obviously had a terrible quarterback situation last year. Rambo had three catches for 30 yards in the preseason before being waived in late August.
He was later drafted by the Orlando Guardians of the XFL. Rambo has been targeted 49 times for 35 receptions, 430 yards (12.3 average) and three touchdowns in this league. And he did it with “Quinten Dormady” and Paxton Lynch(!) mostly throwing his way.
I’d be interested in the Eagles shooting Rambo (who turns 24 in August) with one of their 90 spots on the offseason roster.
- Proehl has really rebounded since entering the league as a late seventh-round pick in 2018. He profiles a slot/returner in the mold of Britain Covey.
- Reyes is a big, athletic tight end. At best, the native of Chile is a development project. He recently spent time on the Chicago Bears practice squad in 2022.
- Bell was a seventh-round pick by the Oakland Raiders in 2019.
RETURNING EAGLES PLAYERS
WR Devon Allen
CB Mario Goodrich
RB Kennedy Brooks
S Tristin McCollum
DT Noah Elliss
ET Tyrese Robinson
AND Julian Good-Jones
- They’re bubble/long shot guys getting a few extra practices to try and impress the Eagles.