Andrey Rublev on why Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal stay out of sensitive subjects

Russian tennis star Andrey Rublev didn’t have a direct answer to question why Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer mostly avoid touching on sensitive subjects. Last week, Wimbledon announced Russian and Belarusian players won’t be allowed to compete at The Championships.

So far, Nadal and Federer have remained silent. In March, former Ukrainian tennis player Sergiy Stakhovsky says Novak Djokovic reached out to him but Nadal and Federer didn’t. “Honestly, I don’t know. It’s probably better to ask them that question.

Is it because of the image or do they have a different opinion? I don’t know,” Rublev told Championship.

Rublev on Daniil Medvedev’s goals

On February 28, Medvedev officially became the world No.1 for the first time.

Medvedev was ranked at No. 1 for just three weeks as Novak Djokovic regained the top spot. Rublev thinks now that Medvedev has accomplished his goal of reaching the top spot, he will focus on winning as many Grand Slams as possible.

“I think he is no longer playing for the top ranking, as he broke the record. Now for him the most important thing is the number of Grand Slams. I did not talk to him, but if you think logically,” Rublev opined.

Meanwhile, Rublev hit out at Wimbledon following their decision to ban Russian players from competing. Rublev called their decision “illogical” and “discriminatory.” “The reasons they (Wimbledon) gave us had no sense, they were illogical,” Rublev said.

“What is happening now is complete discrimination against us. “Banning Russian or Belarusian players….will not change anything. “To give all the prize money to humanitarian help, to the families who are suffering, to the kids who are suffering, I think that would do something, at least a bit.

“Tennis will, in that case, be the first and only sport who donates that amount of money and it will be Wimbledon so they will take all the glory.”

Leave a Comment